Friday 8 July 2011

Before it is too late

Everything happens for a reason. Haven’t you said this to yourself from time to time and haven’t others said this to you too, though mostly in consolation? I am a great believer in the theory of karma – the simple law of cause and effect. While the theory of karma is not new and finds its mention in the Hindu philosophy also, my understanding and belief grew only once I started following Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism. If nothing happens by chance, then it logically follows that there has to be a reason behind the fact that I embraced this life transforming philosophy. I am not referring to the justifications and explanations that I can give for turning to this practice (I have shared those in my first two blogs); I am hinting at something bigger – that this was a predetermined move in my life and things fell in place when the time was right.
An interesting conversation with someone the other day about philosophy, religion and life reinforced this idea. Towards the end of our conversation, he said that certain unfavourable incidents in his childhood made him turn towards spirituality/religion. He found his answers and peace in reading and following the Bhagwad Gita. I chose a different route but under similar circumstances. And both of us agreed that this was our calling, destined and meant to be; that there is a time when matters of faith take on a greater and more significant role in our life. I am glad that this realisation came very early to me.
People in my life have reacted differently to this. Some are indifferent. Most have raised questions though no objections - why I have taken recourse to faith so early in life; that I should save it for my last years. And some are happy that I am not on a wrong path. In response to all these responses, I have a question - What is the purpose of religion/spirituality? Again the answers will be different for each one of us but the fundamental truth if I may say so – The purpose of religion is to create happiness and peace in our lives. It is to empower us and help us lead more fulfilling lives. To be better human beings – the proof of which should reflect in the different roles we play as child, student, spouse, parent, employee, employer etc. Faith is to be applied in daily life so that we can create value on a daily basis. I hope most of you are in agreement with me on this.
So if that is the case, I wonder what purpose it would serve if we decided to take it up at the fag end of our life? By then we would have lost the valuable years of life when we could have made a difference to ourselves and others. I know a lot of people will argue that there is no time for considering these things in the present, in the midst of our hectic schedules and lifestyles. To which I’d say then the need is even greater to pause and self reflect. What is the point of having rushed through life, not savoured the simpler pleasures and joy that it offers. What’s the point of turning back and looking at a life spent with regret?
Speaking from my experience, I am glad that I took up faith early in life, for it has become the solid foundation to help me lead a happy life. I am a tad wiser, happier and less fearful than what I was before. So, those of you who have postponed it as a plan for the later years of your life might want to rethink it. Life is a beautiful journey - Each day should be soaked in happiness and peace, with a few challenges thrown every now and then, so that we don’t become complacent. Stop. Think. If it is otherwise then take heed before it is too late.




2 comments:

  1. wow! shruti...

    its really nice concept of early spiritualism!!
    this is very important in our every day life but people don't accept it every one are money minded... & runs after a fake world in the name of fashion & new trends...& forget the permanent love of god!!

    really nice to read ur stuff..
    keep writing & smiling always!!
    best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sowmya...for stopping by and reading and leaving behind kind words of encouragement. Best wishes to u too.

    ReplyDelete