Wednesday 13 July 2011

Wireless Communication

Just the other day, sitting within the comfort of my home, I had a video conversation with my family in Delhi. I was particularly happy to see my nieces as I spoke to them. My younger niece (four years old) asked me very innocently ‘Bua, do you also have this?’ At that her mother prompted her from behind – ‘What this’, ‘Say the name of what you have in your hand’. To which she said ‘I don’t know mamma’. Her mother explained that she was holding an Ipad. I was amused while I watched all of this. She again repeated the question to me, this time more enlightened (gleeful expression)– ‘Bua do you also have an Ipad?’.  To which I said ‘No, mine is an Ipod touch.’ I could see the confused expression on her face. And then the question came up – ‘Now what is that?’…..ummmm….I paused for a moment wondering how to explain it to her and thankfully that is when my Ipod indicated low battery and turned itself off. I was relieved I didn’t have to answer that one.
But for a long time after that, I kept thinking about the progress we’ve made with technology. We had used the ‘Facetime’ application on our respective devices to conduct the video conversation. Since this was our first attempt, it took us a few minutes to figure out but once we managed that then it was as simple as punching in our email ids and getting connected. And of course for free. I know if I get into the science behind it then it is really the transmission of waves, invisible to the eye. But for someone who doesn’t want to get into all of that, it is still a source of amazement for me. Haven’t you ever expressed wonder at the whole mechanism? No amount of scientific explanation can take away this feeling for me.  
My mind wandered and led me to thoughts and ideas much deeper. ‘Thoughts’ did I say?  And that is where I stopped and thought for a long time. What are thoughts? What is the genesis of a thought in my mind? Simply, it is energy I think. I can’t see it, feel it and yet it still exists. But how do different people conjure up different thoughts to the same situation? This means variation in energy. Thoughts lead to certain emotions and feelings. ‘Emotions’-  what are they?;  Energy as well? How do I ‘feel’ a certain kind of feeling? I was totally lost and confused in the web of my thoughts by now.  I tried to brush these thoughts aside and focus on something else but I couldn’t. One question after another sprung in my head with great speed - What about prayers? How are they communicated to the universe? I have experienced the fulfilment of certain wishes. Aren’t they some kind of energy as well?  And then I came across a beautiful and satisfactory explanation by Dr. Daisaku Ikeda,  “Invisible radio waves travel vast distances through space, reaching Mars and Venus. In the same way, our inner determination, which is unobservable to common mortals, activates the forces in the Universe-the heavenly deities and the Budhhas throughout the ten directions-and appears as solid actual proof”.
That gave me a clearer perspective and  I came to a conclusion – in today’s age where we’ve made wireless communication possible, we’ve only gone back to what originally always existed and will exist for eternity – Wireless communication between our heart and the universe - Difficult to believe? Go back to where I started and hopefully you will be convinced.



4 comments:

  1. I truly believe in this.. thoughts are energy.. and energy cannot be created nor destroyed.it only changes form..

    We all have an internal transistor ( if u may call it).. all we have to do is adjust the frequency to hear the sounds...

    Continue writing ..its inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aditi:) Very rightly said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely composed. I also believe something I read in a book - that one should choose thoughts as carefully as one chooses daily clothes from the closet. We can choose our thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Thanks Smita...Nine thoughts to one word...but easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete